Sunday, June 5, 2011

Islamic Calligraphy

Long time no practice my calligraphy since I was in college. That time I was busy with a lot of tasks and at the same I need to catch-up my studies where time-to-time it more difficult. Every day lecturer taught new chapter although the past chapter I’m still not understand and even didn’t catch it up yet. Start that time, I need to stop for a while doing anything what I love to do at all. I was a student representative also as 3P exco. 3P is stands for Penerangan, Penerbitan and Perhubungan Luar. Indirectly it was three tasks under one portfolio.

Back to the story on Islamic calligraphy (khat), I was started improve this skill since I was first year at sekolah agama. That time I only taught two type of khats; riq’ah and nasakh. That’s very famous for writing purpose. Another five I learned it from my friends and try it alone with referring from internet and other publications. I had attended two calligraphy competitions within two years and sadly I never win because other competitor more skillful than me. But, proudly I had invited to draw out the calligraphy at a kindergarten’s wall, posters, school’s wall, and almost the whole school’s blackboard (actually green) at my previous secondary school.

Actually it has a lot of khat types and mostly almost same shape and design. The most importantly there are seven types where are totally different in form of design and shape which called the basic structure of Islamic calligraphy. The other types are just a combination creatively with two or more type of khat.

 
khat Nasakh: more simple, easy to read. design is parallel in a line. 

khat Riq'ah: it is easy and fast to written by the writer by quite difficult to read by new reader. 

khat Thuluth: the most popular and beautiful one. quite difficult to read although someones who are fluent in Arabic wording.

 
design is same with khat Riq'ah but more and more simple. the different is the words design are mostly pendek-pendek and panjang-panjang.

khat Diwani: the smooth design.

khat Diwani Jali: to differentiate with the others type is very easy. it has a lot of dot, dot, dot, ... . that's all...

khat Khufi: very difficult one. we require to use ruler to create it. 


for more information, click the link ------->http://callidesign.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment